There is a new website for the Anime version of Before Green Gables, which has been airing on Japanese television as Konnichiwa Anne since April 2009. The series is directed by Katsuyoshi Yatabe and is produced by Nippon Animation, which produced the 1979 Akage no An anime. See also the entry on Konnichiwa Anne on the Anime News Network. Thanks to Yuka for bringing this to my attention.
The following reissues have been scheduled for 2009:
- Anne… avant la maison aux pignons verts, French-language translation of Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson, translated by Dominique Fortier, will be published by Éditions du Trécarré (Montreal) in January 2009;
- Before Green Gables, by Budge Wilson, released in paperback by Penguin Canada and by G.P. Putnam’s Sons (U.S.) in February 2009;
- A Tangled Web, part of the Voyageur Classics: Books that Explore Canada series by Dundurn Press, with introduction by Benjamin Lefebvre, March 2009;
- Emily Climbs, part of the revamped New Canadian Library series by McClelland & Stewart, with afterword by Jane Urquhart (reissue of 1989 edition), August 2009;
- Emily’s Quest, part of the revamped New Canadian Library series by McClelland & Stewart, with afterword by P.K. Page (reissue of 1989 edition), August 2009.
An article titled “Wilson tackles ‘daunting’ prequel to Anne of Green Gables” can be found at CBC.ca, along with an interview with the author of the recently released Beyond Green Gables.
The 6 August 2007 issue of Maclean’s includes Katie Engelhart’s article titled “Will the real Anne please stand up? In celebration of the 100th anniversary of ‘Anne of Green Gables’: duelling prequels.”
Also, Bertrand Russell had a few choice things to say about the Penguin prequel in his “Burn the Prequel” (14 Dec. 2006) entry on his blog.
Thanks to Beth C. for alerting us to the Maclean’s article.